1.1 This European Standard specifies requirements for the design and manufacture of mincing machines (see Figures 1a and 1b) used in a stationary position.
The machines covered by this European Standard are used for size reduction of fresh or frozen meat, meat products and fish (hereinafter referred to as product) by cutting in a set of cutting tools.
Mincing machines for domestic uses are not included in this European Standard. Filling mincers are covered by EN 12463 “Food processing machinery – Filling machines and auxiliary machines – Safety and hygiene requirements”.
This European Standard applies only to machines that are manufactured after the date of issue of this European Standard.
Mincing machines in connection with using a hold-to-run foot switch are not covered by this European Standard.
This European Standard covers:
- mincing machines used in shops and preparation rooms;
- mincing machines used in kitchens where sausages are prepared;
- mincing machines used industrially;
The extent to which hazards are covered, is indicated in this European Standard. For other hazards which are not covered by this European Standard, machinery should comply with EN ISO 12100:2010 where applicable.
This European Standard is not dealing with specific requirements for the control of mincing machines with foot switch.
1.2 This European Standard covers the following types:
- mincing machine with feed tray, feed intake and pusher, diameter ≤ 52 mm on feed intake (see Figure 3);
- mincing machine with feed tray, feed intake, restrictor plate and pusher, diameter > 52 mm on feed intake (see Figure 4);
- mincing machine with feed intake hopper and cover, screw conveyor, with 1) or without mixing screw in feed intake hopper (see Figure 5);
- mincing machine with feed intake hopper, with or without cover, screw conveyor, with ) or without mixing screw in the feed intake hopper, with loading device (continuously or discontinuously).
Mincing machines comprise a machine base, a worm casing with a worm, a feed tray (with feed intake) or a feed intake hopper, a screw conveyor (and sometimes an additional mixing screw in the feed intake hopper), a set of cutting tools, a lock nut, a loading device, a drive motor and – depending on machine type – electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic components. They will also have various safeguarding devices as examples in Clause 5.
Mincing machines may be equipped e.g. with
- an extraction claw,
- an ejector or extractor,
- a protective hood over the discharge outlet,
- a cover over the inlet opening of the feed intake hopper,
- a transport carriage for the lock nut, the set of cutting tools, the worm and the screw conveyor,
- a lifting device for the lock nut, the set of cutting tools, the worm and the screw conveyor,
- a loading device.
1.3 Intended use
The product is fed manually or by means of the loading device into the mincing machine. The product is fed to the worm either by means of a pusher or a screw conveyor and size reduced in the set of cutting tools.
It is not intended that mincing machines are cleaned with pressurized water. However, it is to be foreseen that it is difficult to guarantee that this method will never be used in practice. In order to deal with this eventuality, the requirements of 5.3.4 should apply.
This European Standard specifies all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to mincing machines, when they are used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer (see Clause 4).
This European Standard specifies the hazards which can arise during commissioning, operation, cleaning, use, maintenance and decommissioning of the machine.
Directives related to this standards.
Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast)
SSH EN 12331:2003+A2:2010
SSH EN 12331:2015
60.60 Standard published
Feb 24, 2016
Only informative sections of projects are publicly available. To view the full content, you will need to members of the committee. If you are a member, please log in to your account by clicking on the "Log in" button.